Wednesday 5 August 2015

Keep Calm and Carry On....



Hello my lovelies!
I hope you don't mind but I'm offering something a little different today...
It's taken me a very long time to consider whether to write this post but hopefully you'll understand the reasons to why I have?
Earlier this week I received the best news ever..
Two little words....
"all clear"

*****
A year ago my world turned upside down, inside out and completely off balance when my hubby was diagnosed with bowel cancer.
For a year since, our lives have been on autopilot, both for different reasons... hubby to face all the treatment thrown at him and me because I was the stable one in the equation as often us ladies are...



Every one has their own set of troubles lurking behind the smiles we all offer to each and every one we meet each day...
Some people are very vocal and will tell all and others like myself are very quiet and just get on with things in a stoic true British spirit.

So why am I telling all now?
I want to let everyone know how crafting is so very good for keeping you grounded when all is not stable at sea...

I have crafted since a young child.
It is part of me.
I learnt a long time ago that
I need to dabble each and every day to keep my soul singing...



Up until the diagnosis I had been running my own workshops, craft sessions, offering 1:1 lessons and supporting local schools.
Eventually I have had to put all of that on hold.
My priorities lay elsewhere. 

The same week we found out about my hubby I was contacted by Create & Craft TV to attend a screen test with the view to becoming a Guest Presenter.
Complete pants for timing!
Despite the many pleas from family and friends especially hubby, I put it on hold until eventually I caved in and agreed to give it a go... 


I continued to sit for hours and hours looking at sterile hospital clinic decor whilst accompanying hubby during his chemo sessions and re-designed in my mind each and every corridor Tilly Rose style!
After I had read every crumpled old magazine provided and tackled many books on my Kindle, I decided I needed to take action.

I started to fill my little wicker basket with a riot of colour threads, needles, various fabrics and loads of embellishments. 
I soon began to get a reputation as 'the lady with the basket'!


For every hour spent sitting in hospital armchairs I stitched my little heart away!
I needed to stay in a happy place for part of my day despite the surroundings.

I'm a firm believer in creativity being so good for the soul...


Nurses began to show an interest in my projects, other patients asked questions on how to do something and I even managed to show a young girl how to start embroidering whilst waiting for her Nan!


After hubby's chemo, we faced major surgery, followed by many sudden dashes in ambulances to our local casualty unit never knowing the outcome

Each and every time my little basket accompanied me with some crafty delight nestling inside to keep me busy.

Whilst all of this was carrying on I had started guest presenting..... to say I was a bag of nerves the first time doesn't even hit the mark!
But I persevered, trying to inspire others to 'give it a go' hoping I would eventually work out what to say at the right time and look in the right direction at the right time!
(not sure I'll ever look the professional!!)

Roll on a year...
With the wonderful news that hubby is now 'all clear' we can now look forward....


The reason for this post?
It is simply to say...

"Walk Your Life Towards Well-Being"

Allow creativity in your heart and you will always have a smile

Tilly
xxx

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the great news, god bless both of you. I truly believe that crafting is good for your soul. You have inspired me to recycle and use things I never would have. Keep up the good work on c&c.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tilly I'm so happy for your husband...I can relate to every word you say. I am currently having treatment for secondary breast cancer which had grown in my lung. I was clear for 10 years! I have now been on chemo since nov 2013. It's now something I will have to live with as there is no cure. It can only be controlled all is good and I carry on with my life. I had to close my beauty salon at the end January this year as it all got too much. But my love for sewing and scrapbooking keep me so busy I don't have time to work. I also have my beautiful little daughter who is 4 and my husband who is my rock. Congratulations to you and your husband....I so wish you were in the same hospital as me while I was having my chemo...we could've been sewing together xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your story... I wrote my story to hopefully inspire others to see how in the darkest of days of where ever you may be or what ever may be happening a little creativity can help you see a positive how ever long that may be. Glad you are enjoying your crafts

      Delete
    2. Ooops pressed send to early! I was going to finish by saying I hope my shows continue to make you smile :) x

      Delete
  3. It's very brave of you to share this - thank you.
    Crafting helps to keep me going so I can understand your need to continue stitching throughout.
    Best wishes to you and your husband on the wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words my lovely...
      Tilly x

      Delete
  4. Last year my husband was suddenly taken ill, life support, intensive care, 11 weeks in a hospital 1 hours drive away. Six months recovery at home, thought we would be really making the most of this summer when he became seriously ill with something unrelated. Went into hospital on Good Friday, luckily our local just 10 miles away. After 24 weeks in hospital then 4 weeks in rehab he came home a week ago. I had to give up work last year to become his carer. Throughout all this time the simplest of things have given me the most pleasure and kept me going. Walks in the countryside with my two lovely dogs, enjoying the nature, my crochet and sewing, especially hand sewing. You have to sit calmly to hand sew! My best wishes to you and your husband and keep up the lovely shows and blogs! Love Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your story Susan....
    I hope all is going in a positive way. Sometimes life throws us these troubles and often we never understand why but I'm a firm believer in finding a positive in every situation.
    Keep on stitching my lovely and enjoy some gentle time for yourself to help with those smiles :) Tilly x

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are the best two words to hear.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I couldn't agree more with you Julie x

      Delete
  7. What wonderful news. So pleased for you both

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Tilly, I am glad your husband is a lot better now. I too was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2011 and underwent chemotherapy. I have always loved crafts and I found by sewing and crocheting it helped calm my mind. I love watching you on create and craft and you always inspire me to think outside the box. I appreciate every day more now and wonder at nature that is all around us. Take care both of you x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind words.... I'm pleased crafts help bring those smiles each and every day :)
    Take care my lovely...
    Tilly x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by today and leaving a little message
I love to hear your thoughts and appreciate your fabulous snippets that make me smile....

Tilly x